11th Annual SABCS Conference on Contaminated Sites
September 28 – 30, 2021
Send Us a Message
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The 11th Annual SABCS Conference on Contaminated Sites
September 28-30, 2021, 08:30 to 12:00 Pacific Time
The Science Advisory Board for Contaminated Sites (SABCS) in British Columbia is pleased to announce our 11th Annual Conference on Contaminated Sites, which will be hosted in conjunction with GeoEnviroPro Training Professionals Inc. Over the past ten years, the SABCS conferences and workshops have brought together speakers and participants from industry, government, and academia to share innovation, application of technology, best practices, and lessons learned, through presentations and discussion. We seek to promote excellence through presentations by international thought leaders and show-casing the expertise of the local community. This year, the conference and workshop will be held virtually on September 28, 29, and 30, 2021, from 8:30am until 12:00pm Pacific time each day.
We encourage sharing of ideas and knowledge from a range of perspectives and on different topics related to contaminated lands management (please see suggested topics below). Given the far-reaching implications of climate change and the pandemic, a key theme of this year’s conference will be Adaptation and Resilience in Contaminated Lands Management, and in particular innovation and technology to address these challenges. Attending this conference will be a worthwhile investment that will provide you with new perspectives, practical knowledge, professional connections, and will equip you to excel in your professional practice.
The benefits of attending this conference include enabling participants to:
- Learn: Wide-ranging presentations provide practical information on site investigation and remediation.
- Recharge: Listen to cutting-edge research, new ideas and lessons learned.
- Connect: Session breaks include virtual networking so you can meet other professionals in the industry.
- Give Back: Share your expertise and lessons learned and contribute to discussions.
- Interact: Contribute to question-and-answer breaks and panel sessions.
- Access: Benefit from on-demand access to audio and digital presentations after the event.
- Develop: As a professional and acquire professional development hours.
SABCS invites individuals working in contaminated lands management to submit an abstract related to the following topics:
- Adaptation and resilience from the perspective of climate change, the pandemic or other issues in contaminated lands management
- Innovation and conformance to changing climates in remedial design
- Sustainability in contaminated lands management
- Emerging contaminants of concern
- Innovative investigation methods or tools
- Innovation in instrumentation used for assessing contamination
- Use of renewable energy in site management
- Human health and ecological risk assessment
- Indigenous partnership
- Soil vapour intrusion
- Remediation methods
- Natural attenuation and nature-based remediation
- Natural resources including mining and upstream oil and gas
- Regulatory updates from various levels of government
If you are interested in presenting at the conference, please complete the Abstract Submission form below or forward an abstract of 500 words or less in Microsoft Word file format by June 4, 2021, (a template has been provided HERE) to Conference Co-Chairs, Zahra Pirani and Ian Hers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete all information within the template including title, author names and titles, affiliations, addresses and contact email addresses with the submission. Authors of accepted abstracts will be notified via email no later than July 9, 2021.
Authors of accepted abstracts will be required to provide an electronic copy of their presentation at least ten (10) days in advance of the conference. Presentation dry runs will be scheduled approximately one week prior to the conference to address any technical or software issues. Details on the presentation format will be provided at a later date.
Conference and Workshop Registration Fees
- General admission: $200 prior to August 20, 2021, and $250 starting August 22, 2021
- Indigenous Partner, Young Professional (<5 years work experience), or Government: $150
- Group rates available upon request
Authors presenting papers at the conference are entitled to a 50% reduction in conference registration fees – only one author per paper is eligible for this discount. Registrations are transferable. Written refund requests for cancellations must be received by September 17, 2021. Registration will be opened once a conference agenda is available for review.
There is also an opportunity to sponsor the SABCS conference. Sponsors will be recognized in various ways based on their contribution amount. Please contact Conference Co-Chairs Ian Hers and Zahra Pirani at email@example.com or 604-358-1379 for further details on opportunities for sponsorship or for general conference inquiries.
We look forward to seeing you at the virtual event in September.